One of the joys of summer on the North Shore is starting the weekend at the Farmers’ Market—and ending with a culinary celebration of your bounty.
This fresh-from-the-farmers’-market salsa and some chips are all you need to keep your guests happy while the steaks are grilling. Adapted from Robert Irvine’s recipe for Restaurant Impossible. (Serves 8)
• 1 tbsp. grapeseed oil (available at Trader Joe’s)
• 3 tbsp. chopped red onion
• 1 tbsp. jalapeño, seeded and diced
• ¼ cup orange juice
• 2 tsp. rice wine vinegar
• 3 tbsp. strawberry jam
• juice of 2 lemons
• 1 tbsp. Thai chili paste
• 1 cup small, diced pineapple
• 1 tsp granulated sugar
• 2 cups small, diced, fresh watermelon
• ¼ cup diced strawberries
• 1 kiwi, peeled and small diced
• 1 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 tsp. minced fresh mint
Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 1 minute. Add jalapeños; cook for another minute. Add orange juice and vinegar, allowing liquids to reduce for 2–3 minutes. Turn heat to low, stir in the jam for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, chili paste, pineapple, and sugar. Add the watermelon, strawberries, kiwi, cilantro, and mint to the saucepan. Toss together and stir in the lemon juice mixture.
Warm Vegetable Salad
The vinaigrette doubles as a marinade for chicken, while the salad doubles as both vegetable and starch. Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis’ recipe. (Serves 6)
• 12 red peppers
• 1½ pounds red and white new potatoes
• ¾ pounds green beans, trimmed and halved
• 1 bunch scallions, sliced
• ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
• 1 clove garlic, minced (if desired)
• 2 tbsp. chopped oregano leaves
• 1 lemon, zested and juiced
• 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
• ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Broil the red peppers on a foil-lined baking sheet for 8-9 minutes, turning every 2-3 minutes. Place the blistered peppers in a sealed plastic bag for 10 minutes.
Add the potatoes to a large pot of boiling salted water and cook 10-12 minutes. Remove the potatoes and add the green beans to the pot, cooking about 3 minutes. Slice the potatoes in half while still warm and combine with the green beans in the large bowl. Peel off the skin from the peppers and slice into wide strips. Add peppers, scallions, parsley, and garlic.
In a small bowl, combine the oregano, lemon juice and zest, and white wine vinegar. Whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss the warm vegetables with the herb vinaigrette.