- 2 750-ml bottles Beaujolais or Côtes-du-Rhône
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 strips fresh lemon peel
- 3 strips fresh orange peel
- 10 whole allspice berries
- 10 whole cloves (plus 40 more, for garnish)
- 2 cinnamon sticks (plus 10 more, for garnish)
- 2 star anise pods (plus an optional 10-20 more, for garnish)
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 sliced sweet apple
- 1 cup brandy
- 4 medium oranges cut into thick wheels, for garnish (make sure you have 10 slices—one for each serving)
- Place wine, sugar, citrus peels, cinnamon sticks, 10 cloves, allspice berries, nutmeg, orange juice, and apple slices in a large, non-aluminum pot over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. When bubbles begin to form, reduce heat to low and keep just below a simmer for 10 minutes.
- While mixture is warming on the stove, stud each orange wheel with 4 cloves.
- Strain off solids and discard, then stir in brandy. Keep warm.
- Ladle into mugs or punch cups. Garnish each with a clove-studded orange slice and a cinnamon stick. Add one or two star anise pods to each cup, if desired.