AS THE MERCURY climbs its way to summer’s pinnacle, a zingy and refreshing beverage is in order. Perfect for family picnics, an evening at Ravinia, or simply puttering around in the sun, this alcohol-free drink is a true crowd pleaser. For those craving an adults-only version, add a splash of tequila, white rum, or vodka—they all make delightful pairings.
Serves 6 to 8
• 12 cups cubed, seedless watermelon
• 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lime juice
• 6-8 tablespoons honey
• pinch of sea salt
• lime wheels, for garnish
1. Place a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl and set aside.
2. Working in batches, add cubed watermelon to a blender and purée until smooth. This will produce about 6-7 cups of watermelon juice.
3. Strain through the sieve to remove pulp and foam.
4. Add lime juice, 6 tablespoons honey, and sea salt to the bowl, whisking until thoroughly combined. Taste for sweetness (this can vary greatly depending on the watermelon), adding more honey if needed.
5. Pour into a pitcher and chill until ready to serve.
6. Serve in ice-filled glasses garnished with lime wheels.
Pitcher, glasses, and hand carved marble tray available at fletcherandfork.com.