Creamy, sweet, spiced, and citrusy, this gussied-up-for-the-holidays hot chocolate is equally delicious with or without the spike of Grand Marnier.
Boozy (or not) Cinnamon-Orange Hot Chocolate
- 1 organic orange
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cinnamon sticks, divided
- 3 ounces good quality semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar (or to taste)
- 2 ounces Grand Marnier
- Whipped cream
- Ground cinnamon, for garnish
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel two large strips of orange peel, being careful to avoid the white pith. Set orange aside.
- Place the orange peel strips, milk, and one cinnamon stick in a medium saucepan. Heat slowly over low heat, bringing the mixture to a simmer.
- Remove pan from heat and discard the orange peel and cinnamon stick. Add the chopped chocolate and sugar, whisking until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Gently reheat.
- Ladle into two mugs. If desired, add an ounce of Grand Marnier to each, stirring to combine.
- Top with generous dollops of whipped cream, then sprinkle with ground cinnamon. Zest a bit of the unpeeled portion of the orange over each mug of hot chocolate and garnish with remaining cinnamon sticks.