Become part of the permanent collection at The History Center of Lake Forest-Lake Bluff. The History Center’s staff is seeking submissions for its inaugural photo contest— and it is open to all ages. Whether you have been taking photos for years, or just discovered portrait mode on your mobile phone, they want to see how you express your sense of self, sense of place, and/or sense of community. Here is how it works:
PHOTO CONTEST GUIDELINES
- Contestants* can enter one photo in each of three categories:
- A photo that depicts a sense of self
- A photo that depicts a sense of place
- A photo that depicts a sense of community
- The entry fee is $25 per photo. All funds raised go towards History Center exhibits, programs, and educational initiatives.
- Each photo must be emailed to Laurie Stein at [email protected] as a JPG file (10 MB maximum). The file name must include the last name of the participant, age category (see below), and the word “self, place or community.” For example, “Schneider_20-64_Community.” Please include a brief artist’s statement as well, with a maximum of 150 words.
AGE CATEGORIES SUBJECT CATEGORIES
- Sense of self
- Sense of place
- Sense of community
- Each participant must also fill out a submission form detailing their contact information and granting the History Center the right to use their work for marketing purposes. For all images used, the artist will be credited.
- Digitally enhanced or significantly altered photos will not be accepted. Minor adjustments, including cosmetic touch-ups, sharpening, contrast, slight color adjustment, and grayscale conversion are permissible.
- Contest submissions will be accepted August 15 – September 15, 2020.
- All winners will have their work displayed in the History Center’s Katherine Bell Hale Gallery** from mid-November 2020 through the end of January 2021, and in a virtual gallery on the History Center website.
- All participants will have their work displayed online in a virtual gallery, as well as at the History Center’s end-of-year art exhibition in a digital slideshow.**
- Winners in each age and entry category will be awarded select sponsor-related prizes. First place winners will have their work on temporary display in the History Center, and on permanent display on our digital screens and online.
* History Center staff, board, and their families are not eligible to participate. ** The in-house display of the photographs will be dependent upon COVID-19 restrictions at the time.
The contest judges will be Caitlin Saville Collins, professional photographer; Cecilia Lanyon, co-owner of The Gallery Restaurant in Lake Forest; Daria McMeans, Lake Forest College; Ana Miyares, professional photographer; and Kerri Sherman, professional photographer.
The History Center of Lake Forest-Lake Bluff connects people and inspires curiosity by exhibiting, preserving, and celebrating history. The History Center is located at 509 E. Deerpath Road, Lake Forest, 847-234-5253. For more information, visit lflbhistory.org. words by Nini Lustig The History Center of Lake Forest-Lake Bluff hosts its first photo contest.