By this time of the year, the dry winter air has probably already taken its toll on your skin. Layer after layer of lotion wonâ€™t necessary fix the problem of dry, itchy skin, but there are a few other things you can try to soothe irritation. We spoke with Dr. Tina Venetos of Northshore Dermatology Center to learn about some important skin-saving techniques:
- Avoid using hot water in the shower or to wash your hands. Instead, use tepid water with a moisturizing soap like Dove.
- Find a good moisturizerâ€“both the face and body will benefit from it.
- Drink 8 glasses of water per day to keep skin hydrated from the inside out.
- Use a humidifier in your home to restore moisture to the air.
- If you have a more severe case of dry skin, you should consider using hydrocortisone or a prescription moisturizer.
- Visit your dermatologist for microdermabrasion, which will exfoliate your skin and remove dry, dead flakes from the skinâ€™s.