As the mercury climbs its way to summer’s pinnacle into September, a zingy and refreshing beverage is in order. Perfect for family picnics, an evening at Ravinia, or simply puttering around in the sun, this alcohol-free drink is a true crowd pleaser. For those craving an adults-only version, add a splash of tequila, white rum, or vodka—they all make delightful pairings.
SERVES 6 TO 8
• 12 cups cubed, seedless watermelon
• 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lime juice
• 6-8 tablespoons honey
• pinch of sea salt
• lime wheels, for garnish
• Place a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl and set aside.
• Working in batches, add cubed watermelon to a blender and purée until smooth. This will produce about 6-7 cups of watermelon juice.
• Strain through the sieve to remove pulp and foam.
• Add lime juice, 6 tablespoons honey, and sea salt to the bowl, whisking until thoroughly combined. Taste for sweetness (this can vary greatly depending on the watermelon), adding more honey if needed.
• Pour into a pitcher and chill until ready to serve.
• Serve in ice-filled glasses garnished with lime wheels.