GLENVIEW – The Character Counts! in Glenview working committee invites students in fifth through eighth grades to write an essay on one of the following two topics:
1) Choose a person you admire. Write about why you admire this person, using specific examples of the way he or she demonstrates one or more of the pillars of character.
2) If you were a superhero, and one of the pillars of character were your superpower, how would you use it to make a positive difference in your community or the world?
Entries will be accepted through February 16 and will be judged by a panel of professionals in the writing field. Prizes will be awarded to first-, second- and third-place winners in each grade category. Winners will also be recognized at the April 17 Glenview Village Board meeting. Winning essays will be made available to the media for publication.
Entries should be submitted (with name, e-mail address, phone number, grade and school in the upper right-hand corner of each page) to Barbara Littlefield, Glenview Public Library, 1930 Glenview Road, Glenview IL 60025.
Sponsors of the contest include the Optimist Club of Glenview, Glenview Bank & Trust and Northview Bank & Trust.
The six pillars and brief descriptions are:
- Trustworthiness: integrity, honesty, promise-keeping, loyalty
- Respect: courtesy, dignity, diversity, the Golden Rule
- Responsibility: duty, accountability, pursuit of excellence
- Fairness: openness, consistency, impartiality
- Caring: kindness, compassion, empathy
- Citizenship: lawfulness, common good
1. Students in grades 5, 6, 7 and 8 are eligible to submit an essay.
2. Your entry must be between 200 and 350 words in length. Please remember to use proper grammar and develop a well-structured essay.
3. Put your name, parent’s e-mail address, phone number, grade and school in the upper right-hand corner of each page.
4. Make sure your entry is given to your Language Arts or classroom teacher before February 16, 2018 or deliver it by that date to Barbara Littlefield, Glenview Public Library, 1930 Glenview Road.
5. The entries will be judged by a panel of professionals in the writing field. Winners will be announced in late March and recognized at an April Glenview Village Board meeting. In addition, first place essays will be made available to local media for publication in April. There will be a first, second and third prize for each grade level.
Awards provided by: Optimist Club of Glenview, Glenview Bank & Trust and Northview Bank & Trust.