Wondering how to celebrate our countryâ€™s Independence Day? You donâ€™t need to go far, as there are parades, fireworks displays and community festivals in almost every town on the North Shore.Â Hereâ€™s a roundup of local 4th of July weekend events.
LAKE BLUFF:Â One of the best parades in Chicagoland is the Lake Bluff Fourth of July Parade, which draws about 20,000 people to the village every year. Don’t miss the festivities in Lake Bluff before and after the parade.
Saturday, July 1:
1:00 – 4:30 p.m. Lake Bluff 4th of July Mixed Doubles Tennis Open, Artesian Park Courts – First day of two day tournament
Sunday, July 2:
1:00 p.m. Lake Bluff 4th of July Mixed Doubles Tennis Open, Artesian Park Courts – Second day of two day tournament
2:00 p.m. Lake Bluff Open Lands Guided Tour, Skokie River Preserve
Monday, July 3:
- 6 – 11 p.m. 42nd Annual Firemen’s Ball at Blair Park; tickets available at the Fire Station, Village Hall or at the door
Tuesday, July 4:
- 7 â€“ 9:45 a.m. 46th Annual Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast, Village Green, Lake Bluff
- 7 a.m. Parade check-in opens on E. Sheridan Place
- 8 a.m. Parade assembles on East Center Avenue
- 9 a.m. Grace United Methodist Church “Party in the Parking Lot” begins on East Center Avenue
- 9:15 a.m. Childrenâ€™s Parade assembles at the corner of East Scranton and Walnut
- 9:40 a.m. Opening Ceremonies
- 9:50 a.m. Childrenâ€™s Parade steps off from the corner of East Scranton and Walnut
- 10 a.m. Parade steps off from Oak Avenue on East Center Avenue
After the Parade:
11:30 a.m. â€“ 2 p.m. 2nd Annual Kiwanis Hamburger & Hot Dog Cookout, Village Green, Lake Bluff
6 â€“ 8 p.m.Â Blooze Brothers, Lake Bluff Park District’s Band on the Beach, N. Sunrise Beach
GREAT LAKES:Â Â Capt. James Hawkins, commanding officer of the Naval Station Great Lakes, invitesÂ all families, friends and neighbors to attend the baseâ€™s Annual 4th of July Celebration on Ross Field from 3 to 10 p.m. on Monday, July 3 and Tuesday, July 4.
On both the 3rd and the 4th, catch great music on the main stage from 3-8:30 p.m. from acts like Rachel Lorin, Skillet, Bella Cain and theÂ Navy Band Great Lakes Ceremonial Band. The carnival will run from 3-10 p.m., bingo from 3-8:30 p.m., petting zoo from 3-7:00 p.m., Kids Zone from 3-8:00 p.m., paintball from 3-8:15 p.m., and the marketplace from 3-8:00 p.m. bothÂ days. The celebration will also offer roving and field entertainment, a family entertainment stage and indoor rock climbing.
LAKE FOREST:Â Lake Forest Festival and Fireworks will be held on Tuesday, July 4, 2017 from 6 â€“ 10 p.m. The gates will open at 5 p.m. The event is located at Deerpath Community Park in Lake Forest. This yearâ€™s entertainment headliner isÂ Lou Gramm “The Jukebox Hero”â€“ former lead singer of Foreigner.
- 5 p.m. Fields open
- 6 p.m. Opening Band: “Journey Unauthorized” – The Most Authentic Journey Tribute Band on the Planet
- 8 p.m. Lou Gramm
- 9:40 p.m. Fireworks Display
HIGHLAND PARK: Highland Park 4th of July CelebrationÂ takes place onÂ TuesdayÂ July 4, 2017.
- 10 a.m. Main Parade â€“ Co-sponsored by the Park District of Highland Park and City of Highland Park. Watch floats, listen to live music, enjoy unique performing groups, and snag some goodies.
- 11 a.m.â€“ 2 p.m. Fourth Fest â€“ Sunset Woods Park, 1801 Sunset Rd. Come by for carnival rides, pony rides, petting zoo, food from Highland Park restaurants, and live music.
- 8:15 â€“ 10:15Â p.m. Float & WatchÂ Fireworks (at 9:30 p.m.) â€“ Hidden Creek AquaPark, 1220 Fredrickson Place â€“Relax in the pool while enjoying the spectacular colors.Â For more information, call 847.433.3170.
Highland Park also offers a Firecracker 5k and 2 mile walk on Sunday, July 2 from 8 â€“ 10 a.m. Bring the entire family for our annual for this annual event. There will be fun for everyone! All participants of the run and 2 Mile walk will receive t-shirts and a SWAG bag.
- 8 a.m. Fun Run
- 10 a.m. Preschool Games
- 12 p.m. Glencoe’s Got Talent
- 2 p.m. 4th of July Parade (children can line up at Central School around 1:30 p.m.)
- 6 p.m. Food Served at Lakefront Park
- 6:30 p.m. Live Music at Lakefront Park
- 9 p.m. Fireworks Show at Lakefront Park
PLEASE NOTE: Glencoe Beach will be closed on July 4 in order to safely prepare for the fireworks show.
DEERFIELD: Deerfield Family DaysÂ will be held on July 3 and 4.
- 5 p.m. Gates open
- 6 p.m. Live entertainment begins
- 7 p.m. Raising of the flag/National Anthem
- Dusk Firework Show Begins
- 8 a.m. â€“ 10:30 a.m. Pancake Breakfast
- 8 a.m. â€“ 3Â p.m. Family Days Bazaar (Arts and Craft Sale)
- 8:30 a.m. â€“ 9:00Â p.m. Bike Parade
- 8:45 a.m. â€“ 10:00 a.m. Dog Show
- 10 a.m. â€“Â Noon Energy Productions
- 10 a.m. â€“ 3 p.m.Â Inflatables, Rides, Petting Zoo,Â Pony Rides, Corporate Booths,Â and Concessions
- 10 a.m. â€“ 3 p.m. Games in Jewett Park
- 10 a.m. â€“ 3 p.m. Flower Show
- Noon Spectacular Parade-Â Deerspring PoolÂ to Waukegan Road, WaukeganÂ Road to Hazel Avenue, endingÂ at Jewett Park
- 1 p.m.Â â€“ 5 p.m. Free Swimming at Deerspring Pool and Mitchell Pool
- 7:30 a.m. Liberty LoopÂ 5K Run/Walk
- 8:30 a.m.Â Liberty Lap Fun Run (ages 4-10)
- 7:30 â€“ 11:30 a.m.Â 4th of July Breakfast, hosted by Rotary Club
- 9 a.m. â€“ NoonÂ Family Mini-Golf Tournament
- 9 a.m. â€“ Noon Historical Society Museum and Inn Shop open
- 10 a.m. Police vs. Fire Department Softball Game
- 11 a.m. â€“ 7 p.m. Park District Pools Open
- 11:30 a.m.Â Rotary Club Rubber Ducky Race
- 2:15 p.m. Bike Parade
- 2:30 p.m. Mile-Long Parade
- Dusk Fireworks
WINNETKA: Winnetkaâ€™s 4th of July CelebrationÂ will include a parade, fireworks, and other fun activities for the whole family.
- 10 a.m. 4thÂ of July Parade.Â Watch and support local organizations and your fellow neighbors as they march in Winnetkaâ€™s Annual Fourth of July Parade along with Orchestras, Pipe Bands, Dixieland Bands, jugglers, Uncle Sam on stilts and so much more. The parade steps off from the intersection of Elm Street and Glendale Avenue and heads east through town all the way to the Village Green.
- 11 a.m. Events on the Green.Â Stop by for the flag-raising ceremony, childrenâ€™s flag parade and family races. Compete for the coveted family trophy and let the bragging rights begin.
- 6 p.m. Fourthfest
- 6 â€“ 8 p.m. Games/Inflatables/Rides
- 7 â€“ 9 p.m. Generation ConcertÂ (Concert Partner: BMO Harris Bank)
- 8 p.m. Jesse White Tumblers
- 9:20 p.m. Fireworks
WILMETTE: Wilmette Park District Independence Day Celebration will take place on Monday, July 3, at Gillson Park Lakefront, located at Washington and Michigan Avenues.
- 4 p.m.Â Games and rides for children, entertainment, roving performers, and a Tastefest
- 7 p.m.Â Palatine Concert Band inÂ the Wallace Bowl
- 9:30 p.m. Grand Fireworks
TheÂ Fun Run/Walk For Fun will be held Tuesday, July 4, in Gillson Park.
GLENVIEW:Â Join the city of GlenviewÂ for a Spectacular 4th of July Celebration. The Glenview parade begins at 11:15 a.m. on Glenview Road.
Children ages 3-9 are invited to lead the parade with their own bike parade. Parents and children who would like to participate can bring their decorated bike to Glenview Community Church by 10:30 a.m. The bike parade route will end at Shermer Road in the St. Davidâ€™s Episcopal Church parking lot. Parent participation and helmets are encouraged.
- 7 p.m. Patriotic concert by the 100-piece North Shore Concert Bank in the beautiful Gallery Park
- 9:15 p.m. Fireworks
Food vendors will be on the west side of the main oval and on the north side of Attea School.
EVANSTON:Â Â The City of Evanston 4th of July Association will hold its 4th of July Celebration on Monday, July 4.
- 9 a.m. Games and activities for all ages at nine playground sites throughout the city
- 12:45 p.m. Fun Run along Central Street
- 2 p.m. Parade on Central Street
- 7:30 p.m. The Palatine Concert Band will be back again this year playing our favorite patriotic music and much more.Â The concert will follow Association President Tracy Alden and Celebration Co-Managers Dick Peach and Kate Festerâ€™s announcement of the first place winners of the parade.
- 9:30 p.m. Grand fireworks display
Have a safe and spiritedÂ 4th of July!