WINNETKA — On Friday, April 7, the Hubbard Woods Design District (HWDD) will host the second of its new “First Friday” events, featuring evening hours and unique offerings by local stores and studios including lively art, striking design, special presentations and must-have new products.
Participating stores and studios will be open from 5 to 8 p.m. Some locations will offer drinks, food, and live music.
Participating merchants include:
- Benvenuti and Stein: fresh-cooked appetizers from the showroom kitchen
- Pagoda Red: works by Almundena Rodriguez
- Bick’s Emporium: collection of World War II coins
- Phototronics: meet Cadberry the giant, 15-pound Flemish rabbit, pick an egg and win a prize
- E Street Denim: trunk show by Father Daughter Denim
- Rib and Stitch Yarn Studio: the art of stand-up comedy. Donation suggested.
- Jeannie Balsam Interiors
- Robert Bryan Home: he pop art of Bryan Boomershine
- Le Chic Boutique: trunk show of new jewelry designs by Al Menotti
- Saw bridge Studios: trunk show of hand-woven Busatti linens
- Marigolds: trunk show of vintage Bakelite jewelry
- Side Door Studio: the art of Lucie Phillips and Mary Jo O’Gara
- Oil & Water Studio: the art of Cindy Fuller, Sue Jacoby, Sally Wille and Susan Underwood
- Skandal: new jewelry pieces by a Korean designer
- Omid Fine Jewelry: antique jewelry of the 1900s
- Vivid Art Gallery: the art of Ron Parent, and local artist, Amy Woodbury.
- Creme de la Creme: the art of Lynn Pedersen
Participating stores will be identified with “First Friday” signs and luminarias out front. Design District maps will be available at all locations.
First Fridays in Hubbard Woods were begun in October 2016 by Vivid Art Gallery, an HWDD member. Intrigued by the gallery’s success in attracting the local community to a Friday night event, HWDD saw an opportunity to turn it into something bigger. According to Paul Zurowski, founding member of HWDD and partner in Sawbridge Studios, “Our ultimate goal is to get all of Hubbard Woods involved, making First Fridays a real event for the community. It’s an easy after-work or pre-dinner destination where friends can meet, mingle and shop.”
The Hubbard Woods Design District is an association of businesses located in the three-block retail area on the north end of Winnetka along Green Bay Road between Tower Road and Scott Avenue, commonly referred to as “Hubbard Woods.” Its designation as a “Design District” reflects the heavy concentration of art, fashion and design-focused establishments in the area.
Submitted by the Hubbard Woods Design District