LAKE FOREST – After a public hearing, the Lake Forest High School District 115 Board of Directors on September 8 unanimously approved the 2015-2016 budget despite a deficit of $987,000.
It was explained that the deficit will be met from reserve funds and that the balance of those reserve funds will drop from 17% to 15%. The board has set a 10% reserve as a minimum. The budget built in an added $100,000 in pension costs.
Superintendent Michael Simeck told board members that last year the district only received three of an expected four deposits from Springfield.
Other highlights from the D-115 September board meeting include:
- Sally Davis, a 13-year resident of Lake Bluff, was named to the board. She is an attorney with S.C. Johnson and has son attending LFHS.
- Board members were told that LFHS installed 1,200 new computers as robotic spaces took over the areas formerly known as study halls.
- The school calendar for 2016-2017 was approved. The winter break will begin on December 16 and school will restart January 3. Final semester exams are scheduled before the break.
- In light of the financial difficulties at the College of Du Page, the District 115 Board led by the Superintendent and chairman of the Finance Committee reviewed its credit-procurement-card policies.
- The board approved the request of Deerfield District 109 to withdraw from the North Suburban Special Education District that now includes 17 school districts. Board Secretary Ted Moorman said that six students were affected and that keeping special-need students in their home districts is gaining support as a use of a least restrictive environment.
- Board President Reese Marcusson said his goal for the year is “to communicate more effectively by listening more effectively.”
- Student Council President Jake Durburg and Vice President Jill Barrere introduced themselves to the council and announced plans for the September 25-26 Homecoming weekend.
To view the board meeting online, please visit the LFTV Youtube Channel, EnjoyLakeForest.
A.J. Goldsmith is a freelance reporter in Lake Forest for Daily North Shore