Fill A Heart 4 Kids, the Lake Forest-based organization that collected Valentine treats for 2,000 kids last month, rested for about half of one day before beginning a new effort to fill Easter baskets for abused and neglected children and teens in group homes and institutions in the Chicago area.
As with the Valentine’s program, FAH4K is collecting hand-written cards and age appropriate gifts for children and teens who live in residences such as Allendale, House of Peace, Boys Hope/Girls Hope, Lydia Home and Illinois Masonic Children’s Home.
Several local businesses, schools, Scout troops and others helped in February and others have joined the team this month. The Lake Forest High School wrestling team helped pack and deliver 186 Easter baskets to Allendale on Monday, March 23. The Kappa Alpha Theta sorority of Lake Forest College also has gotten involved by creating dozens of cards for the kids. The members also are going join FAH4K board members on a surprise visit to Lydia Home in Chicago on April 4 to decorate the cafeteria. They will also do arts and crafts projects and dine with the residents.
FAH4K founder Ann McAveeney said the group needs Easter decorations to brighten up the cafeterias of the homes. Here is their current wish list:
- Easter decorations to brighten up another the cafeterias
- Financial donations to purchase Portillo’s dinners for the kids. The checks should be made out to Fill a Heart 4 Kids. They’re hoping to raise about $500 for a dinner to serve to the kids the day before Easter.
Drop off locations are at:
- Gifted (840 S Waukegan Road, Lake Forest)
- Berkshire Hathaway (778 N Western Avenue, Lake Forest)
- Remax (1344 S. Milwaukee, Libertyville)
- April’s Linens (200 N Waukegan Road, Lake Bluff)
If you’d like to help or if you want more information, visit the Fill A Heart For Kids’ Facebook page here. If you’re not on Facebook, comment here or email me ([email protected]) and I’ll make sure they get your message.
Looking ahead, the FAH4K’s next project will be Project Flip Flop, a special celebration for children who have completed the school year. Each child will get a pair of Flip Fops and a special note congratulating them on their successful year. Stay tuned for more on that after Easter.