A Lake Forest group called Fill a Heart For Kids is looking for Valentine Angels to donate Valentine goodies to children and teens who have been abused.
“Valentine’s Day is painful for many children who live in institutions,” said Annie McAveeney of Lake forest. “It’s very hard for them to go to school on Valentine’s Day. They see moms bring in cupcakes and games to play, but they never see their mom. They are so broken and disconnected from society. They think no one wants them or barely interacts with them because they were abused.”
She and her daughters and friends are collecting gifts to fill in that gap. “We can remind them that they are important, precious and loved by moms especially on Valentine’s Day. It gives them hope that someone cares,” she said.
This photo album illustrates the items they collected from 2014 and the reaction from the kids and teens: Fill_a_Heart_Photo_Album_2014
Helping Fill A Heart For Kids is easy. Just pick out something from the suggested list below and deliver it — unwrapped — by Tuesday, February 10 to the addresses listed below.
208 North Waukegan Road, Lake Bluff, IL 60044
Berkshire Hathaway Koenig Rubloff Realty Group
778 North Western Ave
Lake Forest Il 60045
Att: Maureen O’Grady
The gifts will be placed in Valentine gift bags and delivered to at-risk children who live at Allendale Home, House of Peace, Lydia Home, and Safe Families For Children. The kids range in age from 2 years to 17 years, but the majority are between the age of 6 and 17 years old.
Some of these items might seem basic to you, but they are luxuries to children who live in institutions”
Fill A Heart For Kids’ Valentine’s Wish List:
- Fun Valentine cards… signed by you or your children. (First names only please)
- Wrapped Candy, Gum (Rare treat!!!)
- Deodorant, Shampoo/ Conditioner, Body Wash, Lotion, Shaving Cream, Chap Stick,
Cologne, Face Wash, Acne Wash, Mouth Wash, Dental Floss
- Nail Polish, Nail Polish Remover pads only, Nail Files, Lip Gloss,
- Hair Ties, Perfume
- Puzzles, Sudoku
- Coloring Books, Diary, Crayons, Colored Markers, Arts and Crafts
- Stuffed Animals, Steppers, Head Lights, Brain Mold, Slinky, Stickers, Comic Books
- Magnet Marbles, Stickers
- Sports Socks, Fun Socks, Gloves
- McDonald’s Gift Certificates
- Gift Cards to a Movie (When you live in a group home, It is a rare treat!)