Daily North Shore keeps hearing about mail gone missing and last week the issue made the Chicago news. Affiliates of ABC-TV and CBS-TV News reported that federal authorities are investigating complaints from Lake Forest residents about checks, letters and packages not being delivered. The Wilmette Post Office also might have problems: a Daily North Shore reader in Wilmette said she had a similar issue when a package containing a necklace she sent to North Carolina arrived at its destination on time — but empty. When she called the Post Office, she was told insurance would cover it.
“I couldn’t believe how much the postal agent didn’t care about this,” the Wilmette mom said.
Lake Forest Business owner Michael Beacham said his mail has disappeared at least nine times since April, including personal medical records and checks sent to suppliers. He started a Facebook discussion on this issue and learned several others have lost mail in recent months. Here are some of the comments:
- We had our season Blackhawks tickets stolen. They were sent certified and since we weren’t home we had to pick them up but when we went to get them, they were gone. They told us there was nothing they could do about it
- Has happened to us! Twice in last few years that we know of. I send a package to my mother and it was opened and a pandora charm was taken out.
- We have lately had several envelopes or packages ripped open at corner- one a birthday card but they did not take the check that was inside. I had a photo pendant made for my mom, by a old HS friend on Etsy. It never arrived. She emailed me a copy of the receipt and the tracking info. The postmaster not only never returned my calls or my friends call (as the sender), but when I went to the LF PO to chat with the postmaster, she said it was insured, so don’t worry. When I told her it was a pendant of my parents, and the photo I gave my friend was in the package, she shrugged. Never resolved, and no apology, except from my terrific mailman who tried to help.
- I just got a 2 day air letter that was mailed in April from Florida arrive at my house October 14. My sister mailed bridal shower invites that never got there, and my sister mailed wedding invites that never made it to their destinations. All from LF Post Office.
- I recently sent out my baby’s Christening invitations – 26 out of 59 families never received their invite 🙁
CBS-TV reported that the U.S. Office of the Investigator General’s Office is investigating, but at this time it is not known how widespread the problem may be. ABC-TV reported similar information: