A Lake Forest-based non-profit called Karam Foundation received the “grand prize” in a crowd-funding competition organized by a website called Razoo.com, which raises money online for causes. The competition was held in conjunction with #GivingTuesday™, the online movement to raise money that was held on Tuesday, Dec. 3. According to a press release issued by Razoo, more than 600 fundraisers from across the country participated and raised a total of $1,141,097 in donations. The giving competition winners will receive prizes totaling $103,000 from the Razoo Foundation.
The top #GivingTuesday fundraisers from the Razoo competition were:
- Grand Prize, $15,000: Karam Foundation’s “Shave a Mustache, Keep a Syrian Child Warm” project that is dedicated to distributing humanitarian and medical aid in Syria to protect them from the harsh, cold conditions.
- Second Place, $10,000: Homeless Animals Rescue Team (HART) organization’s “Got Hart?” project, which funds the no-kill animal rescue and support group.
- Third Place, $2,500: Covenant Life School’s “Bleachers, Boards and Books for our School” project that raised money to purchase bleachers, SMART boards and other classroom resources.
“The spike in giving to Razoo campaigns, as part of #GivingTuesday, is a testament to the amazing power of social, online movements of generosity,” Lesley Mansford, CEO of Razoo, said in the press release. “It is an honor to help all the participating nonprofits reach their yearly goals through the help of our platform and the inaugural Razoo National Giving Competition.”
Top #GivingTuesday Nonprofit Organizations
- First Place, $5,000: Karam Foundation
- Second Place, $2,500: Trinity Services, Inc., a nonprofit that offers a wide range of programs and services for children and adults with developmental disabilities and/or behavioral health needs.
- Third Place, $1,500: Homeless Animals Rescue Team (HART)
Golden Tickets — Power Hour Golden Tickets worth $1,000 each were awarded to the following fundraisers:
- Winner at 6 a.m., 2 p.m., 4 p.m., 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.: Karam Foundation’s “Shave a Mustache, Keep a Syrian Child Warm” project.
- Winner at 8 a.m.: Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance’s “Give STAMP” project gives access to museums and cultural activities free to Philadelphia’s 68,000 teens.
- Winner at 4 p.m. and 10 p.m.: Covenant Life School’s “Bleachers, Boards and Books for our School” project.
- Winner at 6 p.m.: A-SPAN’s fundraiser by Sarah Morse provides funds to support life-sustaining services for the Arlington, Va. homeless population.
A full list of winners can be found on the Razoo blog. For more information on how to start or donate to a fundraising campaign, please visit www.razoo.com.