Zoodles (a.k.a. zucchini noodles) are a great way to lighten up a traditional pasta dish without compromising flavor. This vibrant dish is full of fresh herbs and tomatoes that are at their peak during the end of summer.
RECIPE AND PHOTOGRAPHY BY NICOLE PUTZEL
- 4 1/2 cups packed basil leaves
- 1 1/2 cups shredded parmesan cheese, plus 1/2 cup for garnish
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 medium size zucchini and/or yellow summer squash
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh mozzarella
- 2 cups sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, for garnish
Combine basil leaves, nuts, garlic, salt, lemon juice & zest in food processor. Let motor run and slowly drizzle olive oil into processor until pesto is thoroughly mixed together. Use spriralizer to shred zucchini and yellow summer squash into zoodles. Each serving is about 2 cups of zoodles. Toss zoodles with approximately 1/4 cup of pesto. Then top with 1/4 cup sliced cherry tomatoes and 1 tablespoon of mozzarella. Garnish with pine nuts and shredded parmesan cheese.