Barrington chef Fabio Viviani shares a sweet treat for cold winter days.
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 4 cups heavy whipping cream
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 2 whole star anise
• 5 gelatin sheets, soaked in cold water and drained
• 10 ounces roughly chopped bittersweet chocolate
• 3 cups crisped rice cereal
• 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
• Preheat oven to 400°F.
• Place salt, vanilla extract, 3 cups of whipping cream, cinnamon sticks, and star anise in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer using high heat. Let cook for 15 minutes on simmer. Remove cinnamon and star anise, then add the gelatin sheets and stir until dissolved.
• Add the chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Divide among preferred serving bowls and refrigerate until set, at least 3 hours.
• While mixture is cooling, line a baking sheet with foil. Place rice cereal on sheet tray and cook until golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes.
• Whisk the condensed milk and remaining 1 cup of cream in a stand mixer until medium peaks form. Serve cream on top of puddings and rice cereal.