LAKE FOREST – Children at a daycare center in the north central area of Lake Forest were evacuated on Wednesday morning, June 21, due to a small fire. No one was injured.
The Lake Forest Fire Department received an alarm at 8:52 a.m. and were told the daycare center smelled of smoke and that the facility’s sprinkler system had activated, according to a press release from LFFD Administrative Battalion Chief Michael Gallo. The press release also stated:
- Children were evacuated and relocated to a nearby business.
- Upon arrival, the LFFD found light smoke conditions in the first floor kitchenette, with a sprinkler head activated
- The suppression system had extinguished the fire, which was contained to a cardboard box
- The fire department shut down the sprinkler system and performed clean-up duties
- There was no extension into any structural members of the building
Chief Gallo also stated the cause of the fire is under investigation, and that preliminary estimates put the damage at $5,000.