LAKE FOREST – Ready to shop local with your friendly, leashed dog? Lake Forest Junior Girl Scout Troop #41190 has been visiting Lake Forest retail shops to encourage and gain the permission from local stores to be dog-friendly. The project has enabled the troop to complete its community outreach project for the Bronze Award.
The girls, who have been together since they were Daisies in kindergarten, were excited to take on a community outreach project for the benefit of families with dogs. The girls are now Junior Scouts in 5th grade.
For many people, dogs are an extension of their family, and they want their dogs to join them on family outings. According to research, being a dog-friendly business can increase revenue as much as 15%.
Troop #41190 worked with the local businesses in marketing themselves as dog-friendly establishments. The Troop created window decals for the stores to post on their front windows or somewhere within their stores. They also provided the stores with dog-friendly stickers and boxes of treats to give out to their new furry customers. The troop also set up an Instagram page @fidowelcome.lakeforest so that businesses could use the hashtag to market themselves as dog-friendly and have customers post pics of dogs visiting their stores.
Visit the Troop’s new Instagram site to see some pictures of local businesses that are dog-friendly (@fidowelcome.lakeforest).
Some of these stores you may not have known allowed dogs, and you therefore will be happy to hear that your dog will be able to join you while shopping or dining outdoors.
Dog-friendly merchants and banks:
- Kiddles Sports Inc., 258 Market Square, Lake Forest
- Chase Bank 300 E Illinois Road, Lake Forest
- Gifted, LLC 225 E. Deerpath #138 (located on Oakwood), Lake Forest
- J&K Cleaners 504 N Western Ave., Lake Forest
- Penny’s From Heaven 215 E Westminster Ave. Lake Forest
- Talbots 247 Market Square, Lake Forest
- Pasquesi Home & Gardens 975 N Shore Dr, Lake Bluff
- Lake Forest Book Store 662 N Western Ave. Lake Forest
- Lake Forest Pack & Ship 736 N Western Ave., Lake Forest
- Lake Forest True Value Hardware 825 S Waukegan Rd., Lake Forest
- Molly Flavin Floral Design 259 Market Square, Lake Forest
- North Shore Cleaners 950 N Western Ave., Lake Forest
- Valentina 227 Westminster Ave., Lake Forest
Dog-friendly outdoor patios:
- Sweet Pete’s 270 Market Square, Lake Forest (dog-friendly peanut butter
frozen yogurt and Annie’s custard available for your pup to enjoy)
- Ferentino’s 842 N Western Ave, Lake Forest
For any other local business that are interested in having a Dog-Friendly Window Decal or to be featured on Instagram site @fidowelcome.lakeforest, please contact Troop41190@gmail.com.
Here are some photos of the Girl Scouts and their dogs in downtown Lake Forest.
Submitted by Lake Forest Girl Scout Troop 41190