LAKE FOREST – No one was injured in a Code 4 fire on the 400 block of E. Illinois Road in Lake Forest the evening of January 4.
A passerby called the Lake Forest Fire Department to report the chimney fire, and when crews responded at 7:18 p.m. they saw flames coming out of the chimney. They upgraded the response to a Code 4, which brought additional fire departments to the scene, according to a news release from the LFFD. Firefighters from Highland Park, Lake Bluff, Knollwood, Lincolnshire, Libertyville, Deerfield and Wheeling assisted in the extinguishment, overhaul and station coverage.
The occupants were not displaced, and crews cleared the scene at 9:46 p.m.
A broken water pipe contributed to the home’s damage, and the preliminary estimate is approximately $30,000, according to Lake Forest Fire Battalion Chief Mike Gallo.
PUBLIC EDUCATION MESSAGE from the LFFD: Have your chimney inspected and cleaned regularly. Ensure smoke and CO detectors are functioning properly.